- Lower maintenance costs and higher performance
- Easy operation and maintenance accessibility
- Positive, fully automatic cake discharge
- Proven, high-performance design
- Process control and DCS communication is available
The sustainable approach to high-volume dewatering
Confidence in lowest total cost of ownership, efficient operation and high availability
Our filter presses are designed with recess or membrane plates to optimise production and minimise cake moisture. Filter plates are available in 900, 1200, 1500, 2000 and 2500 mm square sizes.
With thousands of total installations, FLSmidth AFPs have reliably provided solutions for customers in industries ranging from chemical to mining, including hundreds of concentrate and tailings filter applications. We deliver years of experience across all applications, from testing to operation, furthering our commitment to developing the best possible filter solutions. Due to our unique operating philosophy, the FLSmidth AFP is well-positioned to provide the lowest cost of operation, lowest energy consumption and highest availability in the market.
State-of-the-art filter press technology from our R&D department continues to evolve, helping us to provide ever-greater overall ROI. Significant investment in technology has led us to new advancements, from improving the filtration capabilities to reducing maintenance times. Continuous development is the key to further reducing energy consumption and improving your overall operation.
To increase productivity in your mine, we provide a strong portfolio of digital solutions and services that connect, monitor and optimise performance of your assets. Digital solutions help you unlock the ability to increase your output, reduce your operational costs and minimise your energy usage.
Maximum performance, efficient maintenance
When filtering any slurry, even the smallest process disruptions add up. To keep your operations functioning at the highest levels, all components of our Automatic Filter Presses are designed for quick and trouble-free maintenance.
- Lowest cost per ton
- Any time you can optimise your operation, you reduce your total cost of ownership. Our AFPs deliver excellent productivity, superior reliability, high availability and reduced energy costs. Combine that with the simplicity of our systems and our operating philosophies, and you will find the FLSmidth Automatic Filter Press truly provides the lowest cost per ton in the industry.
- Highest availability
- Cloth and plate maintenance is performed outside the filter on easy-access, purpose-built maintenance platforms, as the filter continues to operate. The filter cloths utilise a quick-release rod and clip attachment for fast, simple exchange. By quickly swapping out plate packs of 10-plus plates per set, you will drastically improve machine availability and reduce the safety risks associated with changing cloths within the filter. Higher availability means increased production, with 93% average availability achieved in the field.
- Ultra-effective cloth rejuvenation
High-amplitude, low-frequency shaking of the entire length of the filter adds mechanical energy, creating a “snap” effect of the filter cloth, and ensuring efficient cake recovery with every cycle.
Cloth washing is critical to increasing cloth life and limiting downtime, by preventing media blinding and reducing abrasive wear on your sealing surfaces. Our on-plate, custom-spray-pattern, flood-wash system cleans every plate after every cycle.
- Designed to last
- We have designed our line of AFPs to provide an ideal combination of longevity and ease of maintenance. Decades of operational data and years of investment in continuous development yield a truly robust filter press.
- Efficient operation with lower power usage
- Push-to-close technology allows for a greater total number of plates in a single filter press, while still maintaining fast filtration rates and short mechanical times. The result is a reduction in total cycle time. Our AFP achieves high efficiency with lower installed power by maximising the dewatering process and reducing the process steps to achieve target moisture.
- Optimised water recovery
- By reducing the product moisture for your applications, you will achieve greater overall water recovery. Our entire AFP product line is optimised to produce the driest cakes possible, maximising water recovery and lowering your environmental impact.
Proven, high-performance design
Some of the key features of the AFP include push closure-cylinders mounted at centerline of press, rolling cross head for plate stacks longer than 50 chambers, automatic cloth washing apparatus, widespread beams and drip trays for liquid containment. Filter media is also available in a variety of materials and weave patterns.
Cloth shaker assists cake discharge
Vibratory discharge assist is provided by a hydraulically actuated cloth shaker that transmits a vibration directly to the filter cloths when one or more chambers fail to empty completely. To minimise the effects of vibration on other system components, the shaker mechanism is supported on a separate frame system.
Drip trays prevent rewetting of discharged cake
Hydraulically operated drip trays located beneath the filter prevent filtrate leakage and cloth wash water from rewetting previously discharged cake. Both single slope and gable designs are available.
Cylinder crosshead slashed cycle times
As mentioned, to cut the time you need for plate shifting and cake discharge, our mineral filters employ a long-stroke cylinder-driven crosshead to open and close the plate stack. Two short-stroke closing cylinders are mounted in a rolling carriage, which spans the filter sidebars. A hydraulically actuated chain drive or long-stroke cylinder moves the crosshead and linked plates quickly between open and closed positions. With the crosshead fully retracted, a uniform gap is opened between each plate, allowing all chambers to empty. The crosshead then returns the plates to filtration position where locking cylinders anchor the carriage. Closing pressure is applied to the plate stack and slurry feed resumed.
All hydraulic operation
Power for plate shifting, crosshead locking, filter closing, drip tray operation and cloth shaking is supplied from a single electrically driven hydraulic power unit. A filter-mounted manifold contains all required valves, switches, and gauges for hydraulic control.