Our gear units drive productivity in your horizontal mills
Our gear units work efficiently and reliably with the various types of horizontal mills in the cement and mining industries. We provide both central and lateral drive systems that use multistage spur gears, planetary arrangement or simple girth gear pinion drives – whatever best suits your requirements.
Drive your horizontal mills into the future with our gear units
A full spectrum of drive systems and gear units for horizontal mills
Drive systems for horizontal mills are widespread in both the cement and mining industries. Based on our experience and product knowledge, we provide the right solutions for each application and your unique circumstances.
For the cement industry
We often see ball mills used for clinker grinding, while vertical mills tend to be more common today for raw material comminution. In older cement plants, however, both process steps are equipped with ball mills and their corresponding drive systems.
But many of these gear units have seen better days and might no longer satisfy your needs. We offer upgrades, revamps or complete exchanges of your old drive systems to gear up your cement plant for the future.
For the mining industry
Among the different types of horizontal mills used in the mining industry, SAG, AG, rod and ball mills are usually equipped with lateral drives. We offer you a full package of complete drive systems, consisting of girth gears for single or dual drive pinions, main gear units and auxiliary drives. Or you can choose our compact MAAG® LGDX lateral gear unit in single or dual arrangement, depending the power requirements of your mill.
- Our MAAG® CPU gear unit consists of two co-axial planetary stages. The slit housing allows easy maintenance and the internal toothed coupling ensures reaction-free power transmission from the first to the second gear stage. Only side bearings with unlimited lifetime are built-in to this robust and reliable drive system for horizontal mills.
- For small horizontal mill applications, we also offer our MAAG® PPU-C three stage gear unit. Specially designed with a spur gear pre-stage followed by two planetary stages, this drive system provides high performance at an attractive price point.
- And finally, we provide a large and comprehensive range of spare and retrofit parts for the SYMETRO™ gear unit, our traditional multistage drive system.
- Our freshly redesigned MAAG® LGDX is a highly functional, compact lateral drive system for horizontal mills. With its smart casing design, it can be positioned either on the horizontal axis of the mill or at 40° underneath it, delivering a more compact design with lower construction and foundation costs.
- Our full package for girth gear and pinion drives includes the main gear unit, either a MAAG® WA or a MAAG® Temperex gearbox, the auxiliary drive, a flexible high-speed and a toothed low-speed coupling and, of course, the girth gear and pinion itself.