WEMCO® Attrition Scrubber: powerful, controlled action
Increased recovery of viable product
Ideal for attrition of thick, high-density pulp, the WEMCO® Attrition Scrubber supplies the energy while the particles themselves perform the work.
The overall flow direction is downcast in odd-numbered cells and upcast in even numbered cells, with ports or weirs between the cells. Staggered scrubbing zones enhance scrubbing capabilities when lined up in a circuit (a minimum of two cells).
This design ensures no material can short-circuit from one cell to the next, and all material is uniformly treated. Our design also provides treatment of the material for only the required time, resulting in savings related to installation and operating costs.
Efficient scrubbing through controlled turbulence
Uniform treatment and flow pattern
Upgraded mineral values
Simplicity within productivity
- Easy to install and operate
- No specialised technical expertise is required to incorporate attrition cells into your flotation circuit.
- Small footprint
- Each cell’s compact size frees up valuable space that can be allocated for other equipment.
- Low maintenance
- With a proven track record of reliable performance, the attrition cell performs consistently with minimal upkeep.
- Direct drive
- A direct drive unit offers long-term operation without any sacrifice in performance.
- Reduced energy per ton
- A major portion of energy supplied goes into the friction between particles, which in this case, is the desired action
- Functions and applications
The WEMCO attrition cell efficiently scrubs the surface of particulates, scouring unwanted contaminants, impurities, and pollutants on the surface. This also includes the removal of clay slimes and stripping surfaces of soft or conglomerate impurities. Feed is introduced at high density, 70-80% solids in the case of sand, with a consistency approaching concrete mix.
- Industrial sand
- Heavy mineral sand
- Glass sand
- Iron ore
- Metallic ores
- Amber-grade glass sand
- Abrasive feed options
- For excessively abrasive feed with coarse, hard particles, we recommend Ni-Hard or rubber covered paddles and rubber covered tank liners. Standard paddles are made of cast alloy.
Lab-scale attrition testing
Our Dawson Metallurgical Laboratories can help you fine-tune your attrition process to improve your operational performance. We will thoroughly test your material samples and then consult with you regarding the best practices for your circuit. We provide the following tests to most accurately assess your needs:
- Feed and product particle size distribution
- Retention time determination
- Optimum percent solids
- Elemental and mineral characterisation
Lab-scale attrition testing evaluates the effectiveness of your process and determines your retention time requirements and optimum feed percent solids. This helps to ensure proper equipment selection for the most efficient operating configuration, including the appropriate cell size and quantity required for your operation.