Efficient, reliable ESP solutions for dust emission control
Trouble-free dust emission control
All industries face increasingly stringent emissions limits, which bring with them cost and process pressures. Failure to comply is not an option – but the cost of compliance can be prohibitive
It doesn’t have to be this way. Our ESP solutions match fabric filters in efficiency, delivering reliable dust emission control down to 5mg/Nm3 with a very low total cost of ownership.
With more than 4,000 ESPs installed in a wide range of applications, FLSmidth provides ESP solutions for processes within cement, pulp and paper, iron and steel, and metallurgical production.
We have the proven experience to understand your individual process requirements. This means we can design the optimal ESP configuration, while adhering to the most stringent dust emissions regulations.
We have installed more than 4000 ESPs for applications within cement, pulp and paper, iron and steel, and metallurgical production. Because no two applications are the same, every solution is bespoke, enabling us to design the optimal ESP configuration while adhering to the most stringent dust emissions regulations.
And because dust emission requirements are always evolving, we continuously develop the design and the technology of our ESPs to meet increasingly stringent regulations through optimal gas distribution, greater particulate capture and reduced energy consumption.
Solutions for every industry
- Pulp and Paper
- Our ESPs secure trouble-free operation in collecting the chemicals recirculated in the kraft process, while minimising dust emissions. We select the best combination of rated current (mA), voltage (kV) and high-voltage transformer type (single phase or three phase) to ensure optimal operating conditions. Our designs are tailored to the different requirements of recovery boilers, lime reburning kilns, circulating fluid bed, bubbling fluid bed or grate-type boilers.
- Iron and steel
- Designed for temperatures from 50˚C to 300˚C and suction from +50 to -3000 mmWG for sinter strands, our ESPs for iron and steel can be adjusted to manage both abrasive and sticky dust. We select the best combination of high-voltage transformer type – either traditional DC or Coromax® Pulse – depending on the dust emission type, process behaviour and operating conditions, to achieve optimum dust collection and energy efficiency. We also design ESPs for pelletizers typically for 80-300°C for dust removal.
Extensive process knowledge of dust behaviour associated with kilns and raw mills, including how to return dust to the process, has resulted in an effective, highly compact ESP design. Our ESPs are ideal for use with clinker coolers with or without waste heat recovery in the circuit for a temperature range of 90-400°C, and can be optimised for use of alternative fuels.
For applications after the raw mill or cement mill, our ESP includes a pre-separator hopper to separate coarser dust and maximise overall efficiency.
- Other metallurgical applications
Our ESP solutions are designed for use within a variety of metallurgical applications, including:
The design accommodates changing temperatures and changing material characteristics, and also includes an effective purge-air system that protects the insulators, keeping them dust-free and preventing acid and moisture condensation. Our rapping system for collecting plates and high voltage electrodes and drag chains on the hopper are designed to remove heavy, sticky dust.
- Copper converter
- Copper roaster
- Copper dryer
- Ferro/Nickel kiln
- Ferro/Nickel dryer
- Zinc roaster
- Moybdenum roaster
Key ESP technologies
The success of our electrostatic precipitators is based on several important design elements, such as:
- Coromax®, a proprietary power supply system ,ensures energy savings, increased efficiency and reduced emissions for challenging processes with high-resistivity dust, such as coal-fired power boilers
- PIACS® is a proprietary smart microprocessor controller that, enables the ESP to automatically react to process variations to ensure outlet emissions remain low even under challenging conditions
- Fibulax® high-voltage electrodes for specific process and operating conditions – maximising the utilisation of power input and the installed collecting area to optimise dust collection efficiency
Low-emissions, low-energy, a more sustainable electrostatic precipitator
Reduce dust emissions
The continued development of our ESP technology has enabled us to reduce dust emissions to well below 5mg/Nm3, achieved through optimal gas distribution and greater particulate capture.
We have optimised gas and dust distribution in the ESP, enabling 100% utilisation of the installed collection area. This, combined with our extensive process know-how and specific product design for each application has enabled us to minimise the equipment footprint.
Reliable dust emissions control
The latest advances to the PIACS DC4 ESP controller enable you to achieve lower energy consumption, enhanced ESP performance and greater emissions capture than ever before.
Simplify maintenance requirements
The high quality and flexible design ensure minimal wear and tear and require only minimal maintenance. Wear parts are placed outside the dust-stream, allowing trouble-free operation and easy access to the parts.
Upgrade existing ESPs, regardless of OEM
We have the expertise and resources to enhance the performance of any ESP, regardless of original make. Whether you want to replace, rebuild, or upgrade, we can make sure you are able to meet your production and emission goals in a cost-effective manner.
Enhance performance with ESP upgrades
ESP parts replacement and upgrades
In addition to new ESP systems, we offer a variety of improvement and upgrade options for your existing Air Pollution Control equipment. Whether your system has been in operation for 30 years or 3, we support and supply parts for all types and makes and models, regardless of OEM. Our experienced service organisation can help you improve performance by providing:
- Maintenance assistance and advice
- Spare and wear parts
Choose your ideal option
Rebuild : refurbish equipment to original condition and capacity.
Upgrade: improve performance and reliability by installing the most modern components.
Replace: build a new unit alongside your existing APC equipment. This enables you to minimize downtime, as it requires only a very limited shut down to reroute ducting.
Make an informed decision
Considering the numerous possibilities, determining viable solutions and selecting the best option to maximise performance can be very challenging. Each option may require a different investment amount, implementation challenge and shutdown schedule, with very different potential results. Together, we will explore the advantages and disadvantages of each potential solution, allowing you to make an informed decision.