Orient Cement shares how the installation of two hydraulic roller press systems supported the efficiency and sustainability objectives of their Karnataka plant.
The limestone-rich belt of Karnataka in India is home to many cement plants, and the market for roller presses in the region is highly competitive. Given the numerous different options on the market, choosing the correct roller press solution and the equipment supplier can be daunting for plant owners. For Orient Cement, selecting the FLSmidth Hydraulic Roller Press (HRP) has proven to be a cost-effective solution.
Finding the right solution
With a desire to optimise productivity, Orient Cement established selection criteria for evaluating a new roller press system for use in its 6,600 tonnes-per-day integrated greenfield plant. The three most critical objectives were high production performance, low power consumption, and grinding without adding water.
Hydraulic roller press systems are the best choice for the raw materials in our region as the materials are quite dry in nature and have high grindability. We also require a waterless operation, so the HRP system was the obvious solution for us.
|Performance at Orient Cement|
|Unit||Guaranteed||Achieved during Performance Test|
|Product fineness (wet sleeve residue on 90µ)||%||12||12|
Product moisture (indicative only)
|Specific power consumption, includes roller press drive,
seperator drive, seperator fan, booster fan, and auxillaries
TABLE 1: The grinding system’s performance after the installation of two hydraulic roller presses.
Low power, no water
Shortly after the installation, it was evident that Orient Cement’s project objectives would be achieved, with all performance guarantees successfully delivered. As shown in table 1, actual production exceeded the intended capacity target by 6.5 percent – at a lower power consumption and with zero water consumption.
FLSmidth's latest hydraulic roller press sets the bar with its efficient design and includes other noticeable improvements in performance:
- Solid forged rollers (no hollow shaft)
- Spherical roller bearings to accommodate angular misalignments
- Oil for bearing lubrication, bearing cooling, and filtering of foreign media
- Optimum roller Diameter to Width ratio
- Hinged frame for easy roller removal
These features enable the HRP to achieve high energy efficiency and contribute to a low total cost of ownership, largely due to its ease of operation and minimal maintenance costs.
When to consider an HRP system
- In regions with a high price per kW/hour
- In applications with an average feed moisture of less than 6%
- If water is scarce
- Where waste heat recovery power generation is important
We chose FLSmidth to supply the HRP system for raw grinding based on its brand credibility and industry experience. FLSmidth has yet again proven itself and has clearly set a new standard with its superior performance and commendable results
Orient cement's hydraulic roller press specifications
- Raw material grindability: 12kWh/t at VRM shaft for product residue of 12% on 90 µm sieve
- Overall feed moisture: 4%
- Unit type: Roller Press HRP 3.0
- HRP dimension: 1920mm (diametre) x 1563mm (width)
- Installed power: (1600kW*2)
- HRP speed: 2m/s maximum
- Grinding pressure limit: 5500kN/m2 (maximum)
- Static seperator size: RPGS - 3150
- Dynamic seperator size: RARL 40